Event Name: Global Symposium on Microfinance: Revolutionizing Microfinance: Insight, Innovation, Inclusion
Dates: May 22 – May 23, 2017
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Summary of Event: This symposium will consist of discussions and presentations on scaling up through innovative channels, deploying digital credit, design thinking, using “big data,” and credit risk assessment and risk management . Following the symposium, the Asian Banking School is offering a three-day training designed for mid-level staff of microfinance institutions called “Microfinance Training for Practitioners – Breaking Through Beyond Traditions” .
Conference Organizer: This event is organized by the World Bank, a member of the World Bank Group that provides loans, grants and advisory services to developing countries, and Bank Negara Malaysia, the country’s central bank.
Cost: There is no fee to attend the symposium. The fee for the training is USD 350 with a rate of USD 315 per person available when multiple attendees register from one organization.
Global Symposium on Microfinance http://www.worldbank.org/en/events/2017/05/22/revolutionizing-microfinance-insight-innovation-inclusion
Microfinance Training for Practitioners: Breaking Through Beyond Traditions https://www.asianbankingschool.com/our-programmes/public-programmes/alternative-finance/microfinance-training-for-practitioners-breaking-through-beyond-traditions
For additional information about the event, you may contact the organizers by phone at +603 2742 7822 or by email at gsm2017[at]worldbank.org or gsm2017[at]bnm.gov.my.
By James Packard
Sources and Additional Resources:
 Global Symposium on Microfinance – Draft Agenda (May 22 – May 23, 2017): http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/602581488992151651/22May2017-Malaysia-mfSymposium-Agenda-2.pdf
 Microfinance Training for Practitioners: “Breaking Through Beyond Traditions” (May 24 – May 26, 2017): https://www.asianbankingschool.com/our-programmes/public-programmes/alternative-finance/microfinance-training-for-practitioners-breaking-through-beyond-traditions
The World Bank
Central Bank of Malaysia
Asian Banking School
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: High Water Women’s 2017 Investing for Impact Symposium; November 30, 2017; New York, USA
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Global Symposium on Innovative Financial Inclusion, September 21-22, 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: The Mastercard Foundation Symposium on Financial Inclusion, $150k “Clients at the Centre” Prize; November 8-9, 2017; Accra, Ghana
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Global Forum on Remittances, Investment and Development 2017; June 15-16, 2017; New York, United States
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Seed Africa Symposium, September 28-29, 2016, Nairobi, Kenya