Switzerland-based responsAbility Investments recently disbursed the first investment from its private equity fund responsAbility Agriculture I, acquiring a “significant” minority stake in Samunnati, a non-banking financial company in India that provides loans and advisory services to players in agricultural value chains. Although the price and size of the stake remain confidential, responsAbility Agriculture I generally places investments of USD 5 million to USD 25 million.
Launched in 2014, Samunnati has issued USD 80 million in “cash-flow based lending” over the past two years to 250 agricultural organizations in 10 Indian states.
In 2017, ResponsAbility Agriculture I raised USD 50 million in its first close. ResponsAbility Investments, which manages assets valued at USD 3 billion, invests debt and equity in “the agriculture, energy and finance sector[s] of emerging economies.”
Sources and Additional Resources
ResponsAbility press release
ResponsAbility Agriculture I
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at http://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Fundacion BBVA MicroFinanzas Continues Buying Equity in Microfinance Institution Financiera Confianza of Peru with responsAbility Transaction
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: responsAbility Investments Places 9% Equity in Russia’s Center-Invest for SMEs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: ResponsAbility Lends $45m to TBC Bank in Georgia for MSMEs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: EBRD Loans $2.3m to Kreditimi Rural i Kosoves (KRK) to Support “Green Economy” in Kosovo
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Intellegrow, Symbiotics Launch SME Debt Pool Program by Securitizing $5.3m Bond Issuance Benefiting Indian Entrepreneurs