Via two investment vehicles it manages, Switzerland’s responsAbility Investments AG recently purchased a total of 9 percent of the shares of Center-Invest Bank, a Russian bank serving individuals as well as small and medium-sized enterprises. According to Dr Vasily Vysokov, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Center-Invest, “…the new shareholder will expand access to financing sources for the growing global market for environmental and socially responsible investments, including energy efficiency projects, agribusiness development, loans for apartment building repairs, women and youth entrepreneurship.”
Founded in 1992 and headquartered in Rostov-on-Don, Center-Invest has 134 branches in the regions of Krasnodar Krai, Rostov, Stavropol Krai and Volgograd regions, as well as the cities of Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod. As of 2015, the bank had USD 1.55 billion in total assets, USD 1.13 billion in total deposits, USD 1.26 billion in net loans, return on average assets of 0.6 percent and return on average equity of 5.3 percent.
ResponsAbility, which was founded in 2003, has USD 3.2 billion in assets invested in 550 companies in 97 countries as of 2017. It has satellite offices in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Lima, Luxembourg, Mumbai, Nairobi, Oslo and Paris. The firm is primarily held by Swiss financial institutions, including Baumann & Cie, Raiffeisen Switzerland and Vontobel Beteiligungen.
By Ryan Gauthier, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Information
ResponsAbility press release:
ResponsAbility home page:
Center-Invest annual report:
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: ResponsAbility Lends $45m to TBC Bank in Georgia for MSMEs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: ResponsAbility Investments Loans $15m to Trustco of Namibia for Education Funding
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: ResponsAbility to Loan Additional $3m to Bolivian Microfinance Institution Diaconia FRIF
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Egyptian Mobile Payment Platform Fawry Sells Equity Stake to Private Equity Firm Managed by responsAbility
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Symbiotics Raises $18.5m for Georgia’s TBC Bank via MSME Bond Platform