The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), a development finance institution backed by the US government, recently agreed to loan USD 49 million to XacBank, a microfinance institution in Mongolia, to support lending to women-owned small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) . The effort also includes a financial-literacy component. As of 2016, XacBank reported total assets of MNT 2,257 billion (USD 938 million), a gross loan portfolio of MNT 1,231 billion (USD 511 million), total deposits of MNT 978 billion (USD 406 million) and, as of 2015, approximately 618,000 depositors and approximately 103,000 borrowers. Its largest shareholders are Mongolian mining company Mongolyn Alt Corporation and the World Bank Group’s International Finance Corporation (IFC) with 20 percent and 17.17 percent ownership, respectively.
The loan was disbursed through the Women Entrepreneurs Opportunity Facility (WEOF), a collaboration between Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women and IFC’s Banking on Women program. Launched in 2008, the 10,000 Women initiative aims to provide 10,000 “underserved” women with education in business and management, financial advisory services, and access to capital. Goldman Sachs reports total capital of USD 98 billion as of 2017. From its launch in 2014 until 2016, WEOF has committed approximately USD 600 million to banks in 17 countries.
By Christian Chartier, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources:
 “OPIC signs commitment with XacBank to support women-owned SMEs in Mongolia through Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women and IFC partnership”, OPIC.gov. https://www.opic.gov/press-releases/2017/opic-signs-commitment-xacbank-support-women-owned-smes-mongolia-through-goldman-sachs-10000-women-and-ifc
 Niedzwiecki, Sandra, “OPIC and Dawn sign $5 million commitment to support women entrepreneurs through microfinance in Myanmar”, OPIC.gov. https://www.opic.gov/press-releases/2017/opic-and-dawn-sign-5-million-commitment-support-women-entrepreneurs-through-microfinance-myanmar
IFC, AFD, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women to Guarantee $5m in SME Lending by Lebanon’s BLC Bank
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: International Finance Corporation (IFC) Syndicates $81m Loan for Banco Industrial do Brasil (BIB) to Support Small, Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs)
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: IFC, AFD, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women to Guarantee $5m in SME Lending by Lebanon’s BLC Bank
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: IFC, Cathay United Bank Loaning $50m to VPBank for SMEs in Vietnam with Support From Women Entrepreneurs Opportunity Facility
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) Lending $5m to Accion’s Early Dawn Microfinance to Support Women Entrepreneurs in Myanmar
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: IFC Lending $5.6m to Romania’s Garanti Leasing to Finance Women-owned SMEs