Ericsson, a Sweden-based telecommunications company, recently announced plans to develop an emergency wallet system intended to “enable the distribution and use of digital funds by relief workers and impacted populations, which can help address issues such as safety, expense, and traceability that are associated with handling cash.” This emergency wallet system is part of Ericsson’s “Technology for Good Initiative.”
Peter Heuman, Head of M-Commerce at Ericsson, said, “Ericsson Emergency Wallet builds on our expertise in deploying mobile financial services in emerging markets. This solution enables a method of money transfer that is mobile which allows for a quicker, safer and more cost-effective way for the humanitarian organizations to distribute digital aid in disaster areas.”
As of 2016, Ericsson employed approximately 110,000 people in 180 countries and reported USD 34 billion in total assets.
By Jason Wei, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
Founded in 1876, Ericsson is a communication technology company based on Stockholm, Sweden. Ericsson offers products and services such as wireless phone services, networking equipment, broadband, cable television and video systems. As of 2016, the company employed approximately 110,000 people in 180 countries and reported USD 34 billion in total assets.
 Ericsson announces Emergency Wallet to support humanitarian response, http://www.ericsson.com/news/2014566
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: India’s Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), Mobikwik Unveil Mobile Wallet
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Nestlé, Telenor Microfinance Bank Providing Digital Loans to Farmers in Pakistan
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Mastercard, Unilever to Launch Partnership to Facilitate Growth of Micro-, Small, Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs) with Pilot Project in Kenya
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: JazzCash Mobile Money Users in Pakistan to Gain Access to Merchants Accepting Visa Cards
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Acleda Bank of Cambodia Launches Unity ToanChet Digital Wallet