Event Name: Women’s World Banking (WWB) Making Finance Work for Women Summit
Event Date: November 11-12, 2015
Event Location: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (which is also known by its German acronym BMZ), Berlin, Germany
Event Summary: The Making Finance Work for Women Summit is a two-day event that will focus on how women’s access to financial services relates to economic opportunity and macroeconomic growth. Sessions will cover best practices to “serve the women’s market for financial services”.
Cost: The fee to attend the event is USD 500.
Background on Organizer: Women’s World Banking (WWB) is a nonprofit organization based in the US city of New York that was founded in 1979 to help women around the world through microfinance. As of 2014, WWB works with 38 microfinance institutions (MFIs) operating in 27 countries and serves 854,000 clients. WWB reported USD 32 million in assets as of 2014.
Event Theme and Topics: The first day of the event will be divided into hour-long sessions as follows: (1) “Who are the Game Changers in Financial Inclusion for Women?”; (2) “Targeting the New Growth Segment, Women”; (3) “Women and Finance: What are We Learning From Research and Data?”; (4) “How Can Technology Drive Financial Inclusion for Women”; (5) “How Do Donors and Investors Impact Financial Inclusion for Women?”; (6) “How Do We Make It Work for Women and Finance?”. The sessions will be interspersed with one-on-one “Innovation Conversations”. The second day of the event will begin with a panel discussion entitled “Going Beyond The Entrepreneur” focusing on the roles of women in financial markets and how to integrate them into the global supply chain. This will be followed by simultaneous breakout sessions on products. The event will conclude with a five-hour “Network Member Day,” in which Women’s World Banking members will meet with attendees and discuss their personal experiences serving low-income women with microfinance products.
Event Website: http://www.womensworldbanking.org/summit/
For additional information, you may contact Allegra Palmer via email at afp[at]womensworldbanking.org or by phone at +1 212 768 8531.
By Meredith Steih, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
 Women’s World Banking: Making Finance Work for Women Summit, Event Website, http://www.womensworldbanking.org/summit/
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Making Finance Work for Women Summit; October 24-25, 2017; Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Visa Foundation Issues Inaugural Grant of $20m to Women’s World Banking for Microinsurance, Financial Training, Leadership Development
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Making Cents International Presents 2017 Global Youth Economic Opportunities Summit; September 27-29; Arlington, Virginia, USA
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Microfinance Pasifika’s Financial Inclusion Innovation Summit; August 29-31, 2017; Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Financial Inclusion Summit East Africa; September 5, 2017; Nairobi, Kenya