The Kashf Foundation, a Pakistani nonprofit providing microfinance services and advocacy on social issues, won the seventh European Microfinance Award last night for its support of private schools that serve students from low-income families. In addition to financing the schools, Kashf provides training in areas ranging from classroom management to human resources. The organization also assists with hygiene strategies, as most schools in the country lack water and toilets.
As of 2016, the program had disbursed 850 loans to schools serving 150,000 students, 75 percent of whom were female. As of 2015, Kashf reports total assets of PKR 7.01 billion (USD 66.9 million) and a microloan portfolio of PKR 4.36 billion (USD 41.6 million).
The annual European Microfinance Award, which includes a cash prize of EUR 100,000 (USD 106,000), is jointly organized by the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs – Directorate for Development Cooperation, the European Microfinance Platform (e-MFP) and the Inclusive Finance Network Luxembourg, with the support of the European Investment Bank.
The Eighth European Microfinance Award, which is to be presented in 2017, will be on the theme of housing microfinance.
This story is part of a sponsored series on European Microfinance Week, which is being held through November 18 by the European Microfinance Platform (e-MFP), a 124-member network located in Luxembourg. MicroCapital has been engaged to cover the event on-site.
Kashf Foundation Wins 7th European Microfinance Award on Microfinance and Access to Education
Guatemala’s Fundación Génesis Empresarial, Pakistan’s Kashf Foundation, Opportunity Bank of Uganda Named as Finalists for Education Edition of the European Microfinance Award
MicroCapital Universe Profile on the Kashf Foundation
MicroCapital Coverage of European Microfinance Week
Uniting Refugees, Locals via Lending Groups: European Microfinance Week Opens in Luxembourg
Overcoming Fears at European Microfinance Week: Farmers Eschew Microinsurance to Prevent Drought, MFIs Wary of Group Purchases of MIS Software
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Guatemala’s Fundación Génesis Empresarial, Pakistan’s Kashf Foundation, Opportunity Bank of Uganda Named as Finalists for Education Edition of $112k European Microfinance Award
- SPECIAL REPORT: 5 Days Left to Apply for 2017 European Microfinance Award on Housing
- SPECIAL REPORT: Application Period Open for $106k European Microfinance Award on Housing Until May 22
- SPECIAL REPORT: MFIs in Afghanistan, Peru, Mexico Shortlisted for $118k “Microfinance for Housing” Award
- SPECIAL REPORT: 7th European Microfinance Award: $112k for Education Funding