The Rotarian Action Group for Microcredit (RAGM), the vehicle through which US-based service organization Rotary International conducts its microcredit activities, has recently announced that Dr Muhammad Yunus, the founder of Bangladeshi microfinance institution Grameen Bank, will be addressing the Rotary International Convention to be held in Bangkok, Thailand, from May 6 to May 9, 2012. The topic of Dr Yunus’ presentation has not been announced. Dr Yunus spoke at the 1999 Rotary Convention in Singapore about his work and the growing importance of microcredit.
RAGM is a voluntary association of Rotary club members, known as Rotarians, aiming to educate fellow members, standardize Rotarian/MFI partnerships and increase long-term Rotarian involvement in microfinance activities.
By Kristha Abores, Research Associate
About Rotarian Action Group for Microcredit (RAGM):
Rotarian Action Group for Microcredit (RAGM), the vehicle through which US-based service organization Rotary International conducts its microcredit activities, is a voluntary association of Rotary club members, known as Rotarians. It aims to educate fellow members, standardize Rotarian/MFI partnerships and increase long-term Rotarian involvement in microfinance activities.
Sources and Additional Resources:
 Rotarian Action Group for Microcredit: “Dr Yunus of Grameen Bank and Rotary together in Bangkok“, http://www.ragm.rotaryglobal.net/p/blog/170/Dr_Yunus_of_Grameen_Bank_and_Rotary_together_in_Bangkok/
MicroCapital.org article, April 18, 2011, “MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Rotary Foundation, Oikocredit Partner to Offer Grants for Microfinance”, https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-rotary-foundation-oikocredit-partner-to-offer-grants-for-microfinance/
MicroCapital.org article, February 14, 2011, “MICROFINANCE EVENT: Rotary to Host Victoria Microcredit Conference in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, March 4 – March 5, 2011”, https://www.microcapital.org/microfinance-event-rotary-district-5020-to-host-victoria-microcredit-conference-in-victoria-british-columbia-march-4-%E2%80%93-march-5-2011/
MicroCapital Universe Profile: Rotarian Action Group for Microcredit, https://www.microcapital.org/microfinanceuniverse/tiki-index.php?page=Rotarian+Action+Group+for+Microcredit+%28RAGM%29
Browse the MicroCapital Universe and add your entry to the wiki at: https://www.microcapital.org/microfinanceuniverse/
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Toronto International Microfinance Summit to Feature Muhammad Yunus, September 29, 2016, Toronto, Canada
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: SEEP Network Annual Conference, September 19-21, 2016, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Women’s Economic Empowerment Global Learning Forum; May 23-25, 2017; Bangkok, Thailand
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Grameen America Achieves Close of Social Business Fund for Microfinance Lending to Women Entrepreneurs in US
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Whole Foods Market’s Whole Planet Foundation Raises $2.2m to Support Microfinance Institution Partnerships in 11 Countries, Including Expanding Work with Grameen America to New York, Miami