Event Name: Toronto International Microfinance Summit 2016, Muhammad Yunus and Social Business: What is the Opportunity for Indigenous & Underrepresented Communities?
Event Date: September 29, 2016
Event Location: Royal Canadian Military Institute, 426 University Avenue, Toronto, Canada
Cost: The cost to attend the event is CAD 25 (USD 19) or CAD 10 (USD 8) to stream the event online.
Summary of Event: This event will feature Bangladeshi economist, Nobel Peace Prize recipient and founder of Grameen Bank Muhammad Yunus. Doctor Yunus will address the role of “social business”, which he defines as “a new kind of business introduced in the marketplace with the objective of making a difference to the world,” in indigenous and other underrepresented communities. The address will be followed by a question-and-answer session and discussion panel on the subject.
Background on Organizers: The Toronto International Microfinance Summit (TIMS), which was founded in 2009 and incorporated as a nonprofit organization in 2011, seeks to provide a forum for discussion among microfinance industry stakeholders in the greater Toronto area. It also raises funds for scholarships, fellowships and “projects to relieve poverty globally through the provision of microcredit and other financial services to the poor.” TIMS hosts an annual conference covering both domestic and international microfinance.
Event Website: http://www.microfinanceconference.ca/
For additional information, you may contact the event organizers by email at info[at]microfinanceconference.ca or by phone at +1 905 334 3660.
By Michelle Dold, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Information:
 MicroCapital Universe Profile: Toronto International Microfinance Summit
 MicroCapital Universe Profile: Muhammad Yunus
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Global Social Impact Investment Steering Group (GSG) Impact Summit; July 9-12, 2017; Chicago, Illinois, USA
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: MaRS Social Finance Forum; November 9-10, 2017; Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: 3rd Sankalp Southeast Asia Summit; September 19 – 20, 2017; Jakarta, Indonesia
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Mondato Summit Asia; November 28-29, 2017; Yangon, Myanmar
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Making Cents International Presents 2017 Global Youth Economic Opportunities Summit; September 27-29; Arlington, Virginia, USA