Event Name: Regional Workshop and Field Trip in Johannesburg: How to optimise distribution in the low-cost insurance environment?
Event Date: September 27 – September 28, 2016
Event Location: The Country Club, Napier Road, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
Cost: The cost to attend the event is EUR 98 (USD 109), with a rate of EUR 68 (USD 76) offered to members of the Microinsurance Network.
Summary of Event: This workshop aims to create a forum for collaboration among insurance professionals in Africa to “fill knowledge gaps on optimising distribution for insurance products targeting low-income customers” and to work towards new approaches to moving toward this goal. During the “field trip” portion of the event, participants will visit a local insurance company branch catering to low-income clients and speak with insurance agents to learn more about how distribution works in practice.
Background on Organizers: Originally established in 2002 as the CGAP (Consultative Group to Assist the Poor) Working Group on Microinsurance, the Microinsurance Network was spun off as an independent organization in 2009 and obtained legal status in May 2012. Based in Luxembourg, the membership organization aims to promote the development of insurance products for low-income populations by providing a platform for information sharing and stakeholder coordination. As of 2016, it reports 80 member organizations from approximately 50 countries.
For additional information, you may contact Annalisa Bianchessi by email at abianchessi[at]microinsurancenetwork.org or by phone at +352 26 29 78 25.
By Michelle Dold, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Information:
 Microinsurance Network: Regional Workshop and Field Trip Event Info
 MicroCapital Universe Profile: Microinsurance Network
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: 9th Consultative Forum on Microinsurance Regulation; March 14, 2017; Singapore
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: InsurTech: Rising to the Regulatory Challenge; March 20, 2018; Colombo, Sri Lanka
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Munich Re Foundation, Microinsurance Network, APESEG to Host 13th International Microinsurance Conference, November 7-9, 2017, Lima, Peru
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: International Microinsurance Conference, November 15-17, 2016, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- MICROFINANCE PUBLICATION ROUND-UP: Free-riding vs Group Insurance; “Responsible” Microfinance Pricing; State of Microinsurance