Event Name: 12th International Microinsurance Conference
Event Date: November 15-17, 2016
Event Location: Cinnamon Grand Hotel, 77, Galle Road; Colombo 03, Sri Lanka
Cost: The cost to attend the event is EUR 890 (USD 990) until October 31, 2016, and EUR 1290 (USD 1400), thereafter. Details on other discounts available can be found at http://microinsurance.iasl.lk/MicroIns-Conf2016/.
Summary of Event: Presenters at this event will discuss methods to meet the growing demands of the global middle class for insurance with a focus on trends and risks in emerging markets. The topics will include distribution models, technology, regulation and performance tracking, as well as product development and underwriting in the following areas: (1) health; (2) life; (3) property; (4) agriculture; (5) insurance paired with other financial products; and (6) insurance bought through mobile phones.
Background on Organizers:
The Munich Re Foundation was established in 2005 by Munich Re, a German reinsurance company. The foundation aims to find solutions to problems of population growth, globalization, wealth inequality and the environment. Munich Re had EUR 276 billion (USD 310 billion) in total assets as of December 31, 2015. No financial information has been disclosed for Munich Re Foundation.
The Microinsurance Network is a Luxembourg-based organization that aims to promote the development of insurance products for low-income populations by providing platforms for sharing information. As of August 2016, it reported 80 member organizations from 50 countries.
The Insurance Association of Sri Lanka (IASL), established in 1989, provides a platform for consultation among its 29 members on issues pertaining to the Sri Lankan insurance industry. IASL also monitors the regulatory environment to make recommendations to government bodies to promote high ethical standards, researches global insurance practices that can be applied in Sri Lanka and works to create awareness among the public on the need for insurance.
Event Website: http://www.munichre-foundation.org/home/Microinsurance.html
By Sharanya Madhavan, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Information:
 Munich Re: http://www.munichre-foundation.org/home/Microinsurance.html
MicroCapital Universe: Munich Re
MicroCapital Universe: The MicroInsurance Network
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Munich Re Foundation, Microinsurance Network, APESEG to Host 13th International Microinsurance Conference, November 7-9, 2017, Lima, Peru
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Microinsurance Network: How to Optimise Distribution in the Low-Cost Insurance Environment, September 27-28, 2016, Johannesburg, South Africa
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: 9th Consultative Forum on Microinsurance Regulation; March 14, 2017; Singapore
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: InsurTech: Rising to the Regulatory Challenge; March 20, 2018; Colombo, Sri Lanka
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Mobile Insurance Conference; February 23 – 24, 2017; Douala, Cameroon; Organized by IAIS, A2ii and CIMA