Event Name: Global Symposium on Innovative Financial Inclusion: “Harnessing Innovation for Inclusive Finance”
Event Date: September 21 – September 22, 2016
Event Location: Sasana Kijang, Number 2, Jalan Dato’ Onn, 50480, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Cost: For information on pricing, you may contact the event organizers by email at GSIFI2016[at]worldbank.org or GSIFI2016[at]bnm.gov.my or by phone at +1 202 473 1000.
Summary of Event: This event will focus on knowledge sharing in attempt to develop an “enabling ecosystem for innovative financial inclusion to thrive in a safe and stable manner” to meet the World Bank’s goal of universal financial access by 2020 by: 1) encouraging a broader understanding of challenges to the widespread implementation of financial inclusion in developing nations; 2) showcasing innovative financial inclusion platforms; 3) identifying barriers to companies developing and deploying financial inclusion platforms; 4) establishing best practices and demonstrating sustainable business models; and 5) recognizing risks posed by certain models and devising appropriate regulatory measures.
Background on Organizers: The World Bank Group (WBG) is a multilateral development organization headquartered in the US that aims to improve living standards for people in developing countries. As of 2016, WBG encompasses the World Bank, which consists of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). As of 2016, WBG has approximately 10,000 employees, 12,663 projects in 179 countries and was comprised of 189 member nations. As of the same date, it had commitments of USD 60 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses.
Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM), the central bank of Malaysia, was established under the Central Bank of Malaysia Act 1958 and is now governed by the Central Bank of Malaysia Act 2009. BNM conducts the country’s monetary policy and seeks to ensure the stability of the financial system and promote financial inclusion.
For additional information, you may contact the event organizers by email at GSIFI2016[at]worldbank.org or GSIFI2016[at]bnm.gov.my or by phone at +1 202 473 1000.
By Michelle Dold, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Information:
 MicroCapital Universe Profile: The World Bank Group
 MicroCapital Universe Profile: Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM)
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Global Symposium on Microfinance: Revolutionizing Microfinance: Insight, Innovation, Inclusion; May 22 – 23, 2017; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Asian Banking School Training for Practitioners; May 24 – 26, 2017
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Global Forum on Remittances, Investment and Development 2017; June 15-16, 2017; New York, United States
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Executive Forum: Financial Inclusion and Islamic Finance, November 16-17, 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean (EPIC) Organizing Angel Investors to Improve SME Support
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Microfinance Pasifika’s Financial Inclusion Innovation Summit; August 29-31, 2017; Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea