Event Name: Global Savings Group Conference 2018
Event Date: May 22 – May 24, 2018
Event Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Summary of Event: This fourth iteration of this conference is themed “The Power of Savings Groups. Inclusion. Resilience. Empowerment.” Sessions will be based on the following tracks: (1) Systemic Approaches to Increase Scale, Sustainability, and Impact; (2) Access to Formal Financial Services; (3) Expanding Outreach to More Vulnerable and Diverse Populations; and (4) Savings Groups and Gender-transformative Initiatives. SEEP describes savings groups, through which community members save together and share the profits, as “a viable alternative for the vast number of people unlikely to be served by brick-and-mortar financial institutions…they are the catalyst for enhanced social capital, improved gender relations, women’s leadership, and community social and economic development” .
Background on Organizer: This event is led by the SEEP (Small Enterprise Education and Promotion) Network, a US-based NGO with 120 member organizations working in 170 countries. Its goal is to “develop, test and expand innovative strategies that promote inclusion, develop competitive markets, and enhance livelihoods opportunities for the world’s poor” .
Cost: The fee to register is USD 600 until January 5, USD 650 until March 16 and USD 750 thereafter. SEEP Network members benefit from a discount of USD 100.
For more information, you may email SGConference[at]seepnetwork.org or call +1 202 534 1400.
By Alex Gelfond, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
 The SEEP Network http://www.seepnetwork.org/
The Mango Tree (SEEP’s savings-group initiative) http://www.mangotree.org/
MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: FSD Africa, SEEP Network to Fund Research on Savings Groups
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Small Enterprise Education and Promotion (SEEP) Network Annual Conference; October 2 – 4, 2017; Arlington, Virginia, USA
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Women’s Economic Empowerment Global Learning Forum; May 23-25, 2017; Bangkok, Thailand
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: SEEP Network Annual Conference, September 19-21, 2016, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Sanabel’s Annual Conference: Financial Inclusion in the Arab Countries; November 7-8, 2017; Beirut, Lebanon
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Association of Microfinance Institutions of Rwanda Rolls Out “Responsible Finance Through Local Leadership and Learning Program”