The Asian Development Bank (ADB), a Philippines-based multilateral institution, recently announced it will loan USD 20 million to Khushhali Microfinance Bank Limited of Pakistan to “expand access to credit for agriculture-related borrowers and small businesses.” Additionally, ADB will provide an unspecified level of funding to establish a training academy for micro-, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs).
Khushhali has 144 offices, 550,000 borrowers and a gross loan portfolio of USD 220 million as of 2016, up from 129 offices serving 521,000 borrowers and a gross loan portfolio of USD 166 million as of 2015. As of 2015, the most recent date for which these statistics are available, Khushhali had USD 254 million in total assets, deposits of USD 148 million held for 1,129,000 depositors, return on assets of 3.4 percent and return on equity of 20 percent. Statistics on its insurance services are not available. The microbank is minority-held by Luxembourg-based Credit Suisse Microfinance Fund Management Company.
Established in 1966, ADB has 67 country members, of which 48 are in the Asia-Pacific region. Its mission is to support environmentally sustainable growth and regional integration through loans, technical assistance, grants, equity investments and guarantees. During 2016, ADB invested USD 17.5 billion in projects with total budgets of USD 31.7 billion.
By Sascha Strobl, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources:
ADB press release:
 Microfinance Information Exchange (MIX):
ADB home page:
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: IFC Lends $7m to Opportunity Bank Serbia (OBS) to Support Rural Farmers, MSEs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Asian Development Bank (ADB) Places $10m Equity Investment in Satin Creditcare Network to Support Microfinance for Women in Rural India
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: MicroFinanza Rating Issues 13 Institutional, Social, Client-protection Credentials to Microfinance Institutions in Albania, Morocco, Namibia, Asia, Latin America
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Myanmar Finance International Borrows $2m from Maybank, Symbiotics for Microfinance
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: responsAbility Investments Places 9% Equity in Russia’s Center-Invest for SMEs