TriLinc Global Impact Fund, a US-based private investment fund, recently approved USD 15.5 million in trade finance facilities for six companies located in Argentina, South Africa and Zambia. Although their identities have not yet been released, the investees are a South African textile distributor, a South African mine remediation company, a South African waste management company, a South African meat processing company, an Argentine dairy cooperative and a Zambian agricultural distributor . The interest rates on these loans range from 10.9 to 19.5 percent.
Gloria Nelund, CEO of TriLinc, said, “TriLinc seeks to improve developing economy SME [small, medium-sized enterprises] access to international markets. SMEs are the backbone of the global economy, yet they lack access to timely, efficient, and competitive growth capital. With these recent investments, TriLinc is supporting enterprises that are critical to the economic development of their respective countries” .
Additional information on each loan is available from TriLinc.
By Jeff Pierce, Research Associate
About TriLinc Global Impact Fund
TriLinc Global Impact Fund (TriLinc) is a US-based private investment fund that makes investments in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that it deems to “contribute positively” to socioeconomic development in emerging economies. The company invests in SMEs primarily through collateralized debt instruments with the objective of offering “…investors the potential for market-rate financial returns with proof of positive, measurable impact.” The company was founded in 2008 and is located in the US state of California. Financial data for the firm are not available.
Sources and Additional Resources:
 TriLinc Press Release: “TriLinc Global Impact Fund Makes Impact Investments in Africa and Latin America,” http://apps.scdistributors.com/DownloadRequest.aspx?id=sku.TL0184
MicroCapital Universe Profile: TriLinc Global Impact Fund
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: TriLinc Approves $36.8m in Term Loans, Trade Finance for SMEs in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: SureBüddy, Provider of Free Funeral and Handset Insurance, Expands to Uganda
- MICROFINANCE PUBLICATION ROUND-UP: How the Private Sector Can Boost Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa; the Role of Impact Investing in Achieving SDGs in Africa; Documenting Reforms to “Doing Business”
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: East Africa Islamic Economy Summit; April 24 – 25, 2018; Nairobi, Kenya
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Oikocredit Increases Equity Stake in Bolivian MFI Banco FIE