Two US-based NGOs, MIX, a data provider also known as the Microfinance Information Exchange, and the One Acre Fund, which seeks to develop “market-based strategies to fight rural poverty,” recently rolled out public access to a set of data on financial services for small-scale farmers called the Smallholder Finance Product Explorer. The service, which is part of the MIX Market database, is slated to grow from its current level, which includes 80 products from 35 financial services providers. The database offers the number of clients accessing each product and is searchable by geographic and other criteria.
Speaking about the motivation for creating the service, Mike Warmington, the microfinance partnerships director at One Acre Fund, said, “Financial service providers around the globe are positioned to address financing gaps in their local markets, but they face high resource constraints to develop and deploy financial products for smallholder farmers.”
MIX provides data and analysis on financial service providers, funders and other organizations involved in serving the financial needs of low-income clients through avenues including the MIX Market website, which offers financial and social performance data on approximately 2,000 organizations. MIX had a 2016 budget of USD 2.5 million.
One Acre Fund offers financing for agricultural inputs, distribution of those inputs, agricultural training and market facilitation in six African countries. The NGO reports serving 446,000 families via gross revenue of USD 86 million for the fiscal year 2016.
Sources and additional resources
One Acre Fund 2016 financial
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Camilla Nestor Named CEO of MIX, Provider of Data on Microfinance, Agricultural Finance, Digital Financial Services
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: FMO Provides $10m Credit Facility to Agrofértil of Paraguay for Agricultural Input Financing
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Pride Uganda, Harvesting, CGAP Partner to Develop Alternative Credit Scoring Model to Boost Microfinance, Crop Yields for Small-scale Coffee Farmers
- SPECIAL REPORT: Rural Outreach and Innovation Action Group Highlights Apps, Soil Test Kits, Funding Agricultural Cooperatives
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: CGAP, Pula Announce Microinsurance Partnership for Farmers in Nigeria