ResponsAbility, a Switzerland-based asset management firm specializing in development investments, recently informed MicroCapital that it is lending an additional USD 3 million to Diaconia Fondo Rotativo de Inversion y Fomento (FRIF), a non-banking financial institution based in Bolivia. The total loan amount now outstanding from responsAbility to Diaconia is USD 5.9 million .
Founded in 1991, Diaconia FRIF became a regulated institution in September 2014. As of December 2015, it reported a total loan portfolio of USD 114 million with 67,000 borrowers served via 58 branches.
By Sharanya Madhavan, Research Associate
About Diaconia FRIF
Established in 1991, Diaconia FRIF (Fondo Rotativo de Inversion y Fomento) is a Bolivian microfinance institution (MFI) that provides individual and group microfinance loans. As of December 2015, Diaconia had a total loan portfolio of USD 114 million and 67,000 borrowers. It does not accept deposits.
About responsAbility Investments
Founded in 2003, responsAbility Investments AG is a Swiss investment company whose products aim to enable investors to earn a financial return while assisting people in emerging markets to access information and services in sectors such as microfinance, small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) financing, fair trade, and independent media. 70 percent of the share capital of ResponsAbility is held by Swiss financial institutions Baumann & Cie, Raiffeisen Schweiz, Swiss Re and Bank Vontobel AG while the remaining 30 percent is held by the employees. Credit Suisse is a founding parner of the firm. Among other entities, responsAbility Investments manages responsAbility Participations AG, a public limited investment company that was founded in 2012. ResponsAbility Participations’ shareholders include German development bank Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW) and unspecified pension funds and Swiss banks. As of December 2015, responsAbility reported total assets under management of approximately USD 3 billion and had invested directly in 338 companies.
Sources and Additional Resources:
 Direct contact with responsAbility
MicroCapital Universe: responsAbilty
MicroCapital Universe: Diaconia FRIF
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: ResponsAbility Lends $45m to TBC Bank in Georgia for MSMEs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Egyptian Mobile Payment Platform Fawry Sells Equity Stake to Private Equity Firm Managed by responsAbility
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: responsAbility Agriculture I Fund Takes Equity Stake in Indian Value-chain Lender Samunnati
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: responsAbility Investments Places 9% Equity in Russia’s Center-Invest for SMEs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Fundacion BBVA MicroFinanzas Continues Buying Equity in Microfinance Institution Financiera Confianza of Peru with responsAbility Transaction