The Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF), a member of the IDB (Inter-American Development Bank) Group, recently announced it will invest USD 5 million in equity in a fund launched by Nxtp Labs, an Argentine supporter of technology start-ups in areas such as (fintech), education (edtech), and reducing negative environmental impacts (cleantech). Nxtp aims to collect USD 120 million for the fund to invest in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
Founded in 2011, Nxtp offers seed funding, training and consulting to entrepreneurs seeking to establish technology-based businesses in Latin America in exchange for equity stakes of 2 percent to 10 percent.
Founded in 1993, the Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF) provides funding to micro- and small enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean. It has 39 member countries and also receives financing from private investors such as the Latin American Challenge Investment Fund, the Emergency Liquidity Facility and Accion. As of December 2015, MIF had a portfolio of approximately USD 612 million financing 435 projects.
By Sascha Strobl, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources:
Multilateral Investment Fund:
MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Multilateral Investment Fund to Invest $5.8 million in Equity in Nxtp Labs of Argentina to Support Technology Start-Ups in Latin America
MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Nicaragua’s Fabretto Acquires Grants Totaling $1.8m for Training Rural Youth from Japan Special Fund for Poverty Reduction, Multilateral Investment Fund
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Multilateral Investment Fund Approves $4m Equity Investment in Angel Ventures Pacific Alliance Fund for SMEs in Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Indonesian Online Lender UangTeman Raises $12m in Equity Funding for Consumer Loans, Research and Development
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Mexico’s Adobe Capital Raises $21m to Finance Small, Medium-sized Enterprises in Latin America
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Nicaragua’s Fabretto Acquires Grants Totaling $1.8m for Training Rural Youth from Japan Special Fund for Poverty Reduction, Multilateral Investment Fund
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: MicroFinanza Rating Issues 8 Institutional, Social, Client-protection Credentials to Microfinance Institutions in Asia, Latin America