Financiera FINCA Nicaragua, an affiliate of US-based microfinance NGO FINCA International, recently registered a bond program totaling the equivalent of USD 10 million from which it subsequently issued one- and three-year bonds totaling USD 1.1 million. Investors over-subscribed the issuance, choosing from notes denominated in US dollars, Nicaraguan cordobas and Nicaraguan cordobas indexed to US dollars.
The new funding will allow FINCA Nicaragua to expand its financial services to poor Nicaraguan entrepreneurs. As of 2015, FINCA Nicaragua reported total assets of NIO 1.86 billion (USD 62.6 million).
Based in Washington DC, FINCA International aims to expand financial inclusion throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. As of 2015, it reported USD 794 million in outstanding loans, client deposits of USD 168 million and 1.8 million clients. More than half of the organization’s clients are women.
By Phoebe Rorke, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: FINCA Armenia Completes $7m Dual-currency Bond Issue
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Opportunity International EduFinance, FINCA Microfinance Bank Nigeria to Offer Education Loans to Students’ Families, Schools
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: MicroFinanza Rating Issues 8 Institutional, Social, Client-protection Credentials to Microfinance Institutions in Asia, Latin America
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Colombia’s FM Bucaramanga, Ecuador’s Produbanco Borrow $12m for SMEs via Symbiotics’ Bond Platform
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Asian Development Bank Bond Sale Raises $30m to Boost Local Microenterprises Served by Credo Microfinance, FINCA Georgia