CGAP (the Consultative Group to Assist the Poor), a US-based, nonprofit policy and research center that aims to facilitate the expansion of financial access, is seeking submissions of original photographs for its annual competition, which aims to highlight the positive effects of microfinance. This year, the contest is focusing on the following themes: innovations in digital finance; creating opportunities for people in crisis; building sustainable livelihoods; and connecting people and services. Until September 29, 2017, each entrant may submit up to 20 photographs via http://photocontest.cgap.org/.
The prizes are gift certificates for photography equipment in values ranging from USD 100 to USD 2,000 for categories based on theme and region as well as the People’s Choice, eight “Judge’s Honorable Mentions” and the Grand Prize. Inquiries may be directed to Michael Rizzo by email at mrizzo1[at]worldbank.org or by telephone at +1 202 473 9594.
The mission of CGAP is to provide market intelligence; promote standards; and offer advisory services to governments, microfinance providers, donors and investors. As of 2016, CGAP reported donor contributions totalling USD 27 million and total operating expenses of USD 24 million. CGAP is co-located with the offices of the World Bank Group in Washington DC.
By Matthew O’Neill, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources:
2017 CGAP Photo Contest:
MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: 2016 CGAP (Consultative Group to Assist the Poor) Photo Contest Accepting Entries Through September 7, 2016:
CGAP Annual Report, 2016:
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: 2016 CGAP (Consultative Group to Assist the Poor) Photo Contest Accepting Entries Through September 7, 2016
- MICROFINANCE BRIEF: Carolina Trivelli to Chair CGAP (Consultative Group to Assist the Poor) Executive Committee
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: CGAP, Pula Announce Microinsurance Partnership for Farmers in Nigeria
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Platform for Economic Inclusion (PEI) to Carry on CGAP’s Work on Graduation Programs
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: CGAP, Citi Foundation Launch Digital Financial Inclusion Policy Program in China, Indonesia, Philippines