Ant Financial Services Group (Ant Fin), a member of China’s Alibaba Group, and Ayala Corporation, a Philippine conglomerate, recently announced their purchases of minority stakes in Globe Fintech Innovations, a financial technology (fintech) affiliate of Globe Telecom that uses the trade name Mynt. Mynt operates GCash, a mobile money service, and Fuse Lending, which provides personal and business online loans of PHP 2,500 (USD 50) to PHP 300,000 (USD 6,000).
Ayala, which also holds a stake in Globe Telecom, has a market capitalization of approximately PHP 2 trillion (USD 40 billion), inclusive of its subsidiaries as of 2017. As of December 2016, Globe Telecom reported total assets of PHP 250 billion (USD 5.0 billion).
The mission of Ant Fin is to “bring equal access to financial services to the world.” Alibaba reports 2016 revenue of CNY 101 billion (USD 14.7 billion).
By Phoebe Rorke, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
Globe Telecom Financial Statement 2016
Globe Fintech Innovations:
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Ant Financial, Emtek to Launch Mobile Payment Service in Indonesia
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) Targeting Microentrepreneurs via Microfinance Institution, BPI Direct BanKo
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: As China Tightens Online Lending Market, Ant Financial Pauses $37b in Annual Sales of Asset-backed Securities; Nexgo, Zhejiang Busen Garments Cancel Plans to Offer Loans
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: Global SME Finance Forum 2016, September 19-21, 2016, Beijing, China
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: African Banks Join FMO’s FinForward, Gain Access to 4wrd System for Testing Customer Data with 145 Fintechs