Event Name: Young Africa Works Summit
Event Date: February 16 – February 17, 2017
Event Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Summary of Event: This second iteration of this event will convene young agricultural entrepreneurs with leaders of NGOs and government agencies to address how young people can help Africa’s agricultural sector increase productivity and employment, particularly through the use of new technologies.
Background on Organizers: This event is organized by The MasterCard Foundation’s Youth Livelihoods Program, which seeks to transition young people out of poverty. From 2010 through 2016, the program has pledged USD 402 million to 37 multi-year projects in Africa. The MasterCard Foundation is a Canada-based NGO that works to “advance education and financial inclusion to catalyze prosperity in developing countries.” It was established in 2006 by a gift of shares from US-based payment processor MasterCard Worldwide during that company’s initial public offering. As of 2015, The MasterCard Foundation reported approximately USD 9 billion in assets.
Cost: This event is open by invitation only.
For additional information you may contact Isabelle Bourgeault-Tassé at ibourgeault-tasse[at]mastercardfdn.org or +1 647 535 3681 or Faith Mwangi at fmwangi[at]africapractice.com or +254 0 723 596 365.
By Phoebe Rorke, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
The MasterCard Foundation
Young Africa Works Summit Agenda
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: The Mastercard Foundation Symposium on Financial Inclusion, $150k “Clients at the Centre” Prize; November 8-9, 2017; Accra, Ghana
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: The MasterCard Foundation Symposium on Financial Inclusion, Award of $150k “Clients At The Centre” Prize, October 20-21, 2016, Kigali, Rwanda
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Apply by June 5 for The MasterCard Foundation’s $150k “Clients at the Centre” Prize
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: The MasterCard Foundation Fund for Rural Prosperity Awards $3m to Ibero Uganda, First Access, Letshego; Is Accepting Applications for More Funding Through August 10
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Association of Microfinance Institutions of Rwanda Rolls Out “Responsible Finance Through Local Leadership and Learning Program”