Ecobank Tanzania, a unit of Togo-based Ecobank Group, recently announced its launch of the Ecobank Mobile App, which allows customers to use mobile devices to perform fund transfers, top-up airtime, pay bills, check forex rates, view account statements, make retail payments, and interface with payment cards and checks.
Enoch Osei-Safo, the Managing Director of Ecobank Tanzania, said the app will “help our customers spend, shop and pay without cash and with more convenience than they have ever imagined.”
Ecobank Group CEO Ade Ayeyemi said the app is “the first unified application of its type delivered by any institution to be used concurrently in 33 African countries.”
Ecobank is a commercial bank serving individuals, businesses and governments. As of October 2016, it reported total assets of USD 22.7 billion, return on equity of 13 percent and a consumer-base of approximately 11 million people from operations in 33 countries.
By Phoebe Rorke, Research Associate
Sources and Additional Resources
Ecobank Tanzania Launches Innovative Digital Product
Ecobank – The Pan African Bank
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/.
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Tanzania Launches Mobile Money Monitoring (M3) Platform, Regulates Mobile Money Transactions
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Vodacom Paying $2.6b to Its Majority Shareholder, Vodafone, for 35% Equity Stake in Owner of Kenya’s M-Pesa Mobile Money Service, Safaricom
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Tigo Tanzania Distributes $2.5m in Profit to Customers, Agents of Digital Payment Platform Tigo Pesa
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: FINCA Microfinance Bank of Tanzania Rolls Out HaloYako Mobile Savings Product
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Tanzania’s National Microfinance Bank Lists $18m in Bonds on Dar Es Salaam Stock Exchange