Kiva, a US-based online microlending fundraiser, has released its annual report for 2011 indicating that its loans to microfinance institutions increased from USD 71 million in 2010 to USD 89.5 million in 2011. The number of individual lenders who fund these loans increased from approximately 371,000 in 2010 to 457,000 in 2011. Kiva reported 26 new field partners who joined its network in 2011.
Since its inception in 2005, Kiva has loaned a total of USD 313 million, which came from approximately 765,000 lenders and was disbursed via field partners to 782,000 borrowers. The average loan repayment rate is reported to be 98.9 percent.
By Brendan Millan, Research Associate
About Kiva: Incorporated in 2005, Kiva is a US-based online portal allowing individuals to make loans to microfinance institutions (MFIs), which then make loans to people with low incomes. In 2011, approximately USD 90 million in loans was raised by Kiva and disbursed by Kiva’s field partner MFIs in 60 developing and rich countries.
Sources and Resources:
 Kiva: “2011 Annual Report”, http://annualreport.kiva.org/borrowers
MicroCapital.org story, April 9, 2012, “MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Study: Kiva Microfinance Lenders Biased toward Thin, Light-Skinned African Women”, https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-study-kiva-microfinance-lenders-biased-toward-thin-light-skinned-african-women/
MicroCapital.org story, January 26, 2012, “MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Kiva Piloting Peer-to-Peer Microfinance Lending Platform Kiva Zip in Kenya, San Francisco,” https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-capgemini-group-microworld-launch-digital-microfinance-platform/
MicroCapital.org story, May 5, 2011, “MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: 17 Websites Now Allow Individuals to Commit as Little as USD 20 as Microfinance Loans,” https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-17-websites-now-allow-individuals-to-commit-as-little-as-usd-20-as-microfinance-loans/
MicroCapital Universe Profile: Kiva,
Browse the MicroCapital Universe and add your entry to the wiki at: https://www.microcapital.org/microfinanceuniverse/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: World Refugee Fund Created by Kiva, Alight, Tent Foundation, USA for UNHCR to Collect Loan Capital from Individuals for Displaced People
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Kiva, The MasterCard Foundation Announce 5-Year, $7.9m Project to Promote Financial Inclusion in Rural Sub-Saharan Africa
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Cambodian Microbank Sathapana Borrows $35m Syndicated by Taiwan’s First Commercial Bank
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Grameen Credit Agricole Microfinance Foundation Lends $840k to Mali’s Réseau de Micro-institutions de Croissance de Revenus (RMCR), Part for Microinsurance
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: DiD Supports Microfinance Institution Kafo Jiginew in Offering “Input Savings” Voucher Plan to Help Farmers in Mali Buy Improved Pesticides