JazzCash, a mobile money service of Pakistan-based cellular phone network Mobilink, and Visa, a US-based payment technology company, recently announced that JazzCash Mobile Account customers will be able to make purchases from the millions of merchants worldwide that accept Visa payment cards, including approximately 50,000 retail outlets in Pakistan.
As of January 2016, Visa reported total assets of USD 55.0 billion, return on assets of 15.8 percent and operations in 200 countries and territories. As of the same date, Mobilink reported approximately 38 million subscribers.
By Kevin van den Brink, Research Associate
About Visa Incorporated
Visa is a payments technology company that is based in the United States. It partners with financial institutions to provide consumers with credit, debit and prepaid cards that can be used at merchants in 200 countries. Visa also offers payment programs and consulting services for commercial clients. As of January 2016, Visa reported total assets of USD 55.0 billion and return on assets of 15.8 percent.
JazzCash, formerly known as MobiCash, is a Pakistan-based digital finance provider that was founded by Mobilink and the Mobilink Microfinance Bank. Mobilink has approximately 38 million subscribers in about 140 countries.
Sources and Additional Resources
 Techjuice, News, “Visa to offer debit cards to millions of micro financial services users in Pakistan”
MicroCapital Universe Profile: Visa Incorporated
MicroCapital Universe Profile: JazzCash
Do you know that MicroCapital publishes the MicroCapital Monitor newspaper each month? Find out more at https://www.microcapital.org/products-page/
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Vodacom Paying $2.6b to Its Majority Shareholder, Vodafone, for 35% Equity Stake in Owner of Kenya’s M-Pesa Mobile Money Service, Safaricom
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Juvo Raises $40m to Provide Microloans for Mobile Airtime Credit in Eastern Europe, Latin America, Southeast Asia
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Commercial Bank of Ethiopia Engaging Homesend to Launch Remittance Service for All Mobile Phone Users in the Country
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: After Launch in Tanzania, Ecobank Mobile App Available in 33 African Countries
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Banque Atlantique, Express Union, MTN, WorldRemit to Offer Digital Remittance Services in Cameroon