The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), a US-based multilateral financial institution, has launched the Spanish language “Microfinance in Latin America” blog in an effort to explore the role of microfinance in financial inclusion in Latin America and the Caribbean. Specialists from IDB and the Multilateral Investment Fund, which is housed at IDB, plan to use the blog as a forum for sharing “perspectives on development challenges and opportunities [for] microfinance and other initiatives.” IDB also offers blogs that cover topics related to climate change, education, poverty alleviation and technology.
The “Microfinance in Latin America” blog can be accessed at http://blogs.iadb.org/microfinanzas/
About the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB):
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is a US-based multilateral finance institution established in 1959 that operates in Latin America and the Caribbean. IDB works with governments, companies and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) to provide both loans and grants to support small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), health, education and other sectors. IDB also provides technical assistance and research in these areas. Its Board of Executives is elected by 48 member countries, 26 of which are located in Latin America and the Caribbean. In the year ending December 31, 2010, IDB approved loans and guarantees worth USD 12.1 billion and reported total assets of USD 87.2 billion.
Sources and Additional Resources:
 Press Release submitted by IDB to MicroCapital.org, August 2011
MicroCapital.org story, May 16, 2011: “MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Establishes ‘Flexible Financing Facility’ for Countries in Latin America, Caribbean”, https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-inter-american-development-bank-idb-establishes-flexible-financing-facility-for-countries-in-latin-america-caribbean/
MicroCapital Universe Profile: Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), https://www.microcapital.org/microfinanceuniverse/tiki-index.php?page=Inter-American+Development+Bank+%28IDB%29
Browse the MicroCapital Universe and add your entry to the wiki at https://www.microcapital.org/microfinanceuniverse
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Nicaragua’s Fabretto Acquires Grants Totaling $1.8m for Training Rural Youth from Japan Special Fund for Poverty Reduction, Multilateral Investment Fund
- MICROFINANCE EVENT: XIX Foromic, October 24-26, 2016, Montego Bay, Jamaica
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: MIF Invests $5m in Nxtp Labs Fund for Tech Firms Seeking Social Impact in Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: Multilateral Investment Fund Approves $4m Equity Investment in Angel Ventures Pacific Alliance Fund for SMEs in Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: IDB Loans Colombia $450m for Goals Including Facilitating Access to Capital for SMEs, Improving Financial Inclusion