The European Commission has officially launched the EUR 100 million (USD 135 million) “European Progress Microfinance Facility,” which was approved by members of the European Council and European Parliament. EUR 40 million (USD 55.1 million) will come from unallocated margins in the European Union (EU) budget and EUR 60 million (USD 82.6 million) will come from the PROGRESS program, an EU program for employment and social solidarity with a total budget of EUR 743.25 million (USD 1.02 billion).
The facility will make loans of up to EUR 25,000 (USD 33,850) available to micro-enterprises and entrepreneurs in the EU who do not have access to traditional banking services.
By: Stefanie Rubin, Research Assistant
Source Article: The Malta Independent Online: “Microfinance Facility – Aiding Job Creation,” http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=101776
MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: European Parliament Reaches Deal on Sources of Funding for $139m Microfinance Facility: https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-european-parliament-reaches-deal-on-sources-of-funding-for-139m-microfinance-facility/
MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: European Commission Works on Plan to Provide $139m in Microloans to Unemployed Youth: https://www.microcapital.org/microcapital-brief-european-commission-works-on-plan-to-provide-139m-in-microloans-to-unemployed-youth/
European Commission: PROGRESS Programme: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=327
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: European Investment Fund to Guarantee $6m in Credit Lines Extended by Crnogorska Komercijalna Banka (CKB) to 700 Microentrepreneurs in Montenegro
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: EBRD, EU, European Investment Advisory Hub to Provide Technical Assistance to SMEs in Bulgaria, Romania
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: EFSE Loans $2.3m to Kosovo’s AFK for On-Lending to Rural Microfinance Clients
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: EFSE, Netherlands’ Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Rabo International Advisory Services Facilitate Capacity Building Plan for FED Invest to Support Farmers, SMEs in Rural Albania
- MICROCAPITAL BRIEF: EIB Group’s DCFTA Initiative East, InnovFin Supporting SMEs in Georgia, Moldova, the Ukraine; ProCredit Secures $56m Partial Loan Guarantee